Have you ever experienced sleepless nights with pain in the back? This is a very uncomfortable situation. Therefore everyone should have the know-how to relieve hip pain while sleeping. Some basic ideas can help overcome this awful condition. At present, our lifestyles are changing a lot.
We now spend more time sitting on a chair. Moreover, very few people spend time in daily physical exercises. Such a tedious lifecycle has brought about many complications. Statistics have shown that 65 million Americans suffer from chronic back pain. Many people have developed insomnia from this pain as well.
Are you thinking about how to get rid of this condition? This content is here to help.
What can cause hip pain while sleeping?
Pain in the hips, legs, and back gets stronger at night. As we lay down after passing the day, the pain could get more intense. Certain repetitive movements and a few bone-related issues cause this condition. However, hip pain while sleeping might result from the following reasons:
- Bursitis: There are some sacs filled with fluid in our body. They are known as Bursae. Certain repetitive activities could inflame these sacs near the hip-joint. The inflammation ultimately results in hip pain.
- Osteoarthritis: This condition is responsible for hip pain in older adults.
- The aging process causes bones to wear out. As a result, weak bones, including hip-joint, often cause irritation, pain, or even stiffness.
- Strain: Recurring postures can result in pressure on the muscle or ligament around the hip. This could cause hip pain when sleeping.
- Tendinopathy: Tendons attach muscles to the hips and pelvis. They ensure hip stability during walking. If these bands somehow get affected, one might suffer from hip pain.
- Sciatic syndrome: It could cause a burning sensation while sleeping.
- Fracture: Broken bone could cause hip pain when lying down.
- Poor Mattress Quality: Improper mattress often leads to the wrong sleeping position. As a result, one might experience this pain at night.
- Poor Sleep Posture: Sleeping on the same pattern causes numbness in muscle. This might hurt my hip while sleeping.
- Injury: A dislocated hip-joint can cause a hip cramp in the night.
- Obesity: Excess body weight creates extra pressure on muscles. As a result, there might be soreness in the hip while sleeping.
Common painting parts
This pain can cause discomfort in the following areas:
- Inner hip joint
Hip pain while sleeping on the side
Sleeping on one particular side might cause discomfort. Putting Continuous pressure on the same muscle for a long time harms the area. Also, this tendency could cause other long-term bone problems.
How to relieve Hip Pain while sleeping
It doesn’t feel very good when one can’t sleep peacefully. It is very important to have sound sleep for a healthy life. What can be worse than suffering sleepless nights with soreness in the hip?
The hip joint is considered the most sensitive area. This portion is prone to various issues such as soreness, numbness, wear, tear, etc. Hence, most people suffering from back pain will go through some hip aches.
This discomfort usually occurs during sleep time. As a result, you could pass a tormenting time lying around.
There are many reasons for causing hip pain. They could range from excess exercise to chronic diseases like arthritis. Consequently, treatments for this situation would also vary by complexity.
However, there are some widely practiced remedies for this problem. Some of these show instant results. Others come with a slow yet stable outcome. These areas follow:
Long term practices
Change sleeping arrangement: Continuously sleeping on the same side puts extra pressure on muscles or bones. Thus, changing postures while you lie down could ease the pain. Therefore, if one experiences hip pain sleeping on the side, he might try sleeping straight.
Similarly, if sleeping on the left side hurts, then one might try lying on the right. This change in position eventually will relax muscles. Moreover, there won’t be constant pressure anywhere near the area. Adding a pillow would also provide some comfort while sleeping.
- Mild Stretches: Few hip stretches before bed improves blood flow. It helps muscles relax. Thus, the scope of waking up with back pain reduces. Common bedtime stretches include a bear hug, low lunge, seated forward bend, etc. However, it is important to get a doctor’s advice before attempting these activities
- Proper Exercise: Hip pain could also result from the wrong exercise. Thus performing stretches like Standing cat cam after a workout would keep you on the right track.
- Changing activities: Repetitive movement is one of the major reasons for hip aches. Thus, a change in regular patterns helps get rid of this problem. Some healthy changes include: Not sitting down in the same position for too long, Regularly spending time swimming, doing yoga, and Eating healthy foods.
The Fastest Ways to Relieve Hip Pain
- Change Mattress: Too much firm or soft mattress worsens your condition. Thus, trying beds made with memory foam, latex, etc., might treat the pain.
- Icing the area: Ice treatment can provide temporary relief from intense pain.
- Physiotherapy: Certain workouts improve hip strength and flexibility. Treatments such as rolling massage or heat therapy could relax muscles.
- Medication: Some painkillers or relaxants might soothe the pain. But it is a temporary solution. One must consult a doctor for a healthy exercise chart.
- Surgery: There are many surgeries available to cure extreme hip pain. Some examples include hip joint replacement, tendon repair, osteotomy, etc.
Prevention is better than cure
Nowadays, hip pain is a common problem in people of all ages. Initially, only older adults used to have it. Now, young adults or middle-aged people also suffer from this.
It is always better to prevent this problem from the beginning. The following steps can help:
- Maintain healthy body weight.
- Use proper footwear while exercising.
- Do some freehand exercises to strengthen the hip joint.
- Try avoiding repetitive activities in your daily routine.
Frequently asked questions:
Does sleeping with a pillow between your legs work?
Answer: A pillow between two legs helps reduce stress on the hips. It prevents the upper portion from pulling the spine out. This also eases sciatic syndrome.
Is walking an effective solution to Hip Pain?
Answer: This low-impact workout works great with arthritis, swelling, etc. Also, it reduces weight, which has positive health impacts. Thus, you can always rely on this activity to feel better.
When to seek a doctor’s help in hip pain?
Answer: You might need medical support in the following situations:
- Intense hip-pain
- Sudden injury
- The Pain doesn’t recover for a long time
- Difficulty in moving hip or leg
- The joint gets deformed or bleeds.
Knowing how to relieve hip pain while sleeping contributes to a healthy life. You might face it at any age. Thus, some basic knowledge can ease the complication. Also, understanding the signs and symptoms in the first stage helps too. Precautions, in this case, could avoid severity. In short, a balanced and healthy lifestyle will minimize such occurrences. Closely monitoring daily activities will ensure a peaceful and painless sleep for all.