Lying in a comfy mattress definitely brings sleep so quickly. Moreover, you will get a night of sound sleep which eventually makes your next day blissful.
But you need to keep in mind that a mattress wouldn’t serve you for a long time. That’s why you need to know an important question like”how long is a mattress good for.”
Here on, we bring details information regarding mattress life expectancy, so let’s see below.
When to get a new mattress?
As can be seen, nothing can last for a long time rather; everything decays after use. It is also true for the mattress.
Although there is no rule of thumb on how long a mattress lasts, a mattress’s considerable average life lies between 7 to 10 years. Here are some points that may keep on your mind while changing a mattress.
- If you start feeling uncomfortable with your current mattress, it will wise to replace it.
- When you purchase a cheap mattress, it will last for 1 to 5 years. Nevertheless, the average and the best mattress will last 8 to 10 and 15+ years.
- If any changes occur in your body, like gain or lose a lot of weight, you should replace it based on the changes. Moreover, older people or having osteoporosis person needs a mattress that has pressure relief capacity.
Why do mattresses need to be replaced?
Surprisingly, today most of the mattress is made of low-density polyurethane foams, and those materials break down and develop sagging and body impressions.
However, you need to replace your current mattress when you face the following issues.
- When you feel coils, sagging, and lump in the mattress.
- The springs of the mattress become noisy and squeak while moving.
- When you feel stiff and sore after wake up, it implies the mattress isn’t comfy enough. According to NCBI’s 2009 study, new mattresses helped to improve sleep and reduce back pain.
- As you know, the mattress is the storehouse of the majority of the allergens and dust mites. So, you need to clean it on a routine basis, and if you have asthma or allergies, cleaning becomes mandatory. But, as you clean regularly, your symptoms aren’t better; it indicates the mattress replacement time.
- When you feel your partner’s movements while sleeping, it implies your current mattress loses the ability to minimize motion transfer.
- When you feel your spine isn’t aligned during sleep. Naturally, there are two types of alignment for two types of sleepers, for instances,
- The spine needs to remain S curve for back or stomach sleepers.
- The spine needs to remain straight from neck to bottom for side sleepers.
If anything wrong occurs in those alignments, you should take the necessary steps to change the mattress.
How Often Should you Buy a New Mattress?
Hopefully, you know that improper sleep is one of the triggers of heart disease, kidney disease, and diabetes.
Moreover, according to the National University of Singapore, mattresses hold the highest concentration of dust mites than other household items.
And those dust mites lead to asthma, allergies, and other respiratory diseases.
That’s why a question will arise like “how long does a mattress last?”
If you have a clear idea of that, you can hopefully change your mattress after at a perfect time. So, here we enlist some point on “how often to replace mattress”.
- If the mattress’s using time exceeds 7 to 10 years, you need to buy a new one afterward.
- When you feel that your current mattress negatively affects your sleep, don’t think further; just buy a new one.
- When you see a noticeable saggy and damage area in a certain portion of the mattress, don’t think of just go and buy a new one.
- The spring of the mattress creates noise than usual while moving.
- If you feel joint or muscle stiffness regularly after waking up, you need to buy a new mattress.
How Long to Keep a Mattress?
Based on a peer-reviewed clinical trial in 2009, a new mattress significantly improved sleep quality and minimized both perceived stress and back pain.
That’s why here this question like “how long is a mattress good for” outweighing other thinking. Usually, on average, a cheap mattress charges $250, and it will degrade faster than a luxury one.
However, if you buy Latex mattresses, they will last for more than 8 years. Now on, here we enlist the average mattress life of the different mattresses.
- Innerspring Mattress: A lifespan of 8 years
- Memory Foam: It can last for 10-15 years
- Gel Memory Foam: This type of mattress lasts 10-15 years.
- Latex: A natural latex mattress will last for more than 15 years.
FAQ: how long do mattresses last
Can A Mattress Last 20 Years?
Basically, the longevity of a mattress depends on its used materials. So, if your mattress material is memory foam or latex, it will last more than 15 years, hopefully.
What Is The Average Life Of A Mattress?
Although there is no rule of thumb on how long should a mattress last, a mattress’s considerable average life lies between 7 to 10 years (about 2,500-3,500 sleeps).
How Long Does It Take To Get Used To A New Mattress?
Luckily, a new mattress will give you a long lifespan. Getting used to a new mattress depends on the mattress type. But, usually, it takes 30 days to 90 days to get used to.
How Often Should You Replace Your Mattress?
Usually, every 6-8 years, you may need to replace your mattresses (under standard conditions). However, it’s not a constant rule and not an expected solution. Different points are available that will let you know when you should replace your mattress.
How Long Does A Spring Mattress Last?
Usually, a spring mattress lasts for 10 years. However, the lifetime of the mattress is dependent on how you use it, and the materials used in the manufacturing of the bed.
If you find a spring mattress with materials that are less liable to weaken, then it can support you for a long since.
Hopefully, we can clarify your question on “how long is a mattress good for” through this article. However, if you have any further queries, then feel free to ask through the comment section.